Saturday, January 2, 2010

Blue Moon


I talked with a friend on the east coast the first day of the year, she was distraught because the moon had been obscured on New Year's eve. I thought I would post a couple photos I took of the "Blue Moon" from our farm that night.
Blue Moon: The second full moon occurring in a month.

New Year's resolution: Read more poetry!

Here are a few poems from the wonderful book The Ink Dark Moon, love poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan.

Watching the moon
at dawn,
solitary, mid-sky,
I knew myself completely,
no part left out. - Izumi Shikibu

Where
are you hurrying to?
You will see
the same moon tonight
wherever you go! - Izumi Shikibu

Nothing
in the world
is usual today.
This is
the first morning. - Izumi Shikibu





No comments: