Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Short Eared Owl

oil on canvas
6 x 8
sold

The birdxbird benefit auction will be held on Saturday, February 6, from 6-9 pm at the Northrup King Building in Minneapolis. This is a great art event and benefit for the birds - check out www.birdxbird.org . Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, but I will be submitting this painting of a short eared owl. Two years ago I saw my first short eared owl in the winter at Carlos Avery State Wildlife Management Area, which is just north of Minneapolis.
They are amazing creatures that fly low over fields and sloughs in search of food. A beautiful thing, to be standing in the twilight, in the dense silence of winter, with a dozen stealthy flyers gracing the darkening air.
My sister, Mary Logue, will also have one of her wonderful hooked wool pieces. I hope you can check it out and help the birds!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this picture on the blog. I fell in love with it when I saw it in your studio! --ellen