Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yellow Coneflowers



There are so many things blooming in the prairie now, I will post a photo soon but I don't think it will do it justice.  The flowers are tall enough so I can paint standing up - my preferred mode, instead of sitting on the ground.  Last night we were walking thru the prairie trails (we had to cut trails because the grasses are nearly to my shoulders!), and we came upon a skunk.  It was a youngster, and was only a few yards from us.  A tough little thing, it started making false charges, pawing the ground with its front feet, backing up, and doing handstands (no kidding).  We just kept watching it and pretty soon it picked up a dead bird it had been eating and resumed; very cute but unfortunately for all the nesting grassland birds
and ducks very carnivorous.   

available

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I first saw these flowers, embarrassed by the Phallicism. A smile opens the heart.

I think yellow is the hardest color to paint.
You did it beautifully.@