Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Before, After, During



We burned 30 acres of our prairie last night! It was a spur of the moment ordeal, there has been a burning ban on in our county as it has been so dry this spring. I called the local fire-chief and he said they could do it if they lifted the ban. It rained this weekend, and Wade the chief called Sunday to say the ban was off and they would come out Monday evening and burn it as a training session. The photos don't do it justice. I will post a video soon. The firefighters did a great job! Note the moon in the last photo. I look forward to seeing the prairie develop this summer, already this morning we have had killdeer and horned larks on the charred field.

1 comment:

Kathy Hodge said...

Very cool picture of the prairie burning. I waited for hours to get a shot when they had a burn in the Badlands NP, but they ended up calling it off. I would have made a great painting though!