Monday, March 23, 2009

The Chiricahuas

9 x 12
oil on canvas
sold

I painted this when I was in AZ, it is a view to the east from my little cottage. The Chiricahuas are an incredible mountain range that rise up out of the desert. They call it a "sky Island" as the surrounding desert isolates the mountains like an island would be isolated by water. Interesting species of plants and animals occur in this isolation; for instance I believe it is the only place in the US that has Mexican Chickadees. It has been raining like crazy here and when I came out to my studio this morning I discovered I have a few leaks... unfortunately I had some paintings leaning against the walls and one got soaked; I hope it recovers. Has anyone had experience with this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this new work. The land seems more defined, stark but not uncomfortable. The sky moderates so nicely, a real delicacy to it.